Saturday 15 November 2014

Education philosophy


I have a learner centred philosophy and I believe that all decisions we make should be based on improving the education of all students in school.  Firstly, I think that it is fundamental that as a teacher I am aware of my own belief systems and how they affect my relationships with others, including cultural awareness. Secondly, I think that it is vital to create positive relationships with students by understanding that everyone is a unique individual who needs a secure, caring, and stimulating atmosphere.  I do this by finding a connection and the use of humour, wherever possible.  Thirdly, as a teacher, I see one of my roles as helping young people develop a deep love and respect for themselves, others and their environment.  Students should be challenged to become critical thinkers who are willing to adapt to a changing world and we as teachers must take self-responsibility to ensure we keep abreast of changing pedagogies.    Fourthly, I believe that students learn best in an atmosphere of ako where teacher and student learn from each other, again based on respect.  Finally, I believe that as an educator I need to have productive partnerships with the students’ families, to work together to create the best possible outcome for each young person in this ever changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment